Skip Navigation LinksMatch-Reports-2017-01-07

Match Reports January 7th & 8th​​ 2017

Girls U12s and U14s both welcomed Stamford Bridge to Grange Park. U12s Dragons were magnificent against the runaway league leaders who have easily won every game this season, and played really well against a very strong team. We were the better side in the first half and scored from a corner, an own goal sliced into the net by an opposition defender. As expected Stamford Bridge stepped up a gear after the break and scored early but we still made a game of it, defending resolutely and hitting them on the break. We should have scored with 10 minutes to go but missed an excellent chance. Then heartbreak two minutes from time, as we failed to clear our lines and they scored a good goal. The girls were shattered by the 1-2 result. U14s Kites also lost, going down 1-3.

As for the boys, the U10s were at home against Beckwithshaw. A contest between two evenly matched teams was reflected in the final results, with us winning one match, losing one and drawing two. U12s Dynamos went three points clear at the top of the league with a tough 2-1 win against Collingham Juniors. A magical burst of two goals in three minutes saw us snatch the points from the hardest opponents we have played this season in the league. U12s Kinetic lost 1-6 to Pannal Ash Kestrels, U13s Whites lost 1-13 at Knaresborough Celtic, U14s lost 0-4 at home to Pannal Sports Lions, and U16s also lost at Knaresborough, 2-4.

U17s were away to Garforth in the last league game of the season (yes and it's only January). The first half was pretty uneventful with both teams a good match for each other, both testing each other out, neither team taking any risks and both sides looking like they were getting back into the swing after a long Christmas break. The second half was a much brighter and more eventful affair. Garforth's keeper touched a Luke Kilby corner into his own net to give us the lead in the 48th minute, shortly followed by Jake Jones slotting in KDR's second in the 50th after a scramble in the six yard box. But Garforth were not done and our being ahead just made Garforth the more determined side, getting one back in the 63rd minute, and the equaliser just before full time. A great game to watch well contested by all. Kirby Builders Merchants Man of the Match went to keeper Rowan Bentley for some sterling work between the sticks and essentially keeping the score to 2-2 in the second half.​