Skip Navigation LinksResults-2012-13

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Match Reports 2012-13 Season​

​​Sunday 9th September 2012

U10:​ Otley Town v KDR

(A) Team: Mack Garrity, Lewie Mitchell, Conor Durkin, Sam Avery, Elliot Hall, Harrison Cree, Sam Blackman.

First Game: Otley (A) 2 – 0 Kirk Deighton Rangers (A)

Kirk Deighton started this year's league against the new boys Otley on a sunny afternoon. The first half was an even affair with both sides having chances. The second half proved that you have to take your chances as KDR had chance after chance and were killed off by two well taken goals one early in the second half and the other near the end. Having created so many chances it was disappointing not to have scored.

Man of the Match: Harrison Cree. Great Positional play and passing.

Second Game: Otley (B) 1 – 7 Kirk Deighton Rangers (A) 

With a much changed formation and reduced to 6 due to a prior commitment, Kirk Deighton started brightly in their second game but again failed to take their chances and it looked like the game was going the same way as the first when Otley scored early in the second half. But in a determined spell the approach play was rewarded with a hatful of goals, Firstly Sam Avery equalized then goals from Mack (4), Elliot Hall and Conor in a dazzling second half blitz took the game away from Otley.

Man of the Match: Mack Garrity, 3 great goals and a self confessed cross.

(B)Team: Jak Hamlington, Jessica Flynn, Alfie Allananch, Jacob Millar, Callum Tatterton, Elliot Brooke

First Game: Otley (B) 1 – 3 Kirk Deighton Rangers (B)

Going into 2 games with 6 players KDR knew it was going to be a hard task and this was made harder when they conceded an early goal. The equalizer came quickly in the shape of Elliot Brooke and the match was level at the break. A great second half performance by the team led to 2 Elliot Brooke goals and a clean sheet for Jak and a 3-1 victory.

Man of the Match: Elliot Brooke for his opening match hat trick.

Second Game: Otley (A) 5 – 3 Kirk Deighton Rangers (B)

In the second match the team was changed with Elliot going in goal. The team suffered a blow half way through the first half when Captain Jacob Millar got a knock to the knee and had to come off meaning we were down to 5 players. Although we scored three goals in the second half through Elliot Brooke (2) and Alfie Allanach we game was lost with the final score 5-3.  

Man of the Match: Jessica Flynn for great tackling and defending.​

U11:​ KDR v Knaresborough Celtic

(A) Team: Joshua Kessel, Harry Boyer, Dominic Beech, Joe O'Dwyer, Henry Booth, William Ward, Thomas March and Beau Whayman. 

First Game: Kirk Deighton Rangers (A) 1 – 2 Knaresborough Celtic (A)

Kirk Deighton started this year's league against a well organized and fit Knaresborough team and were on the back foot from the start. The home side conceded 2 goals from quality strikes in the first half. Joe O'Dwyer pulled one back when he headed in from a corner. The away team continued to have the better of things in the second half and good saves from the busy Josh Kessel in the home goal kept the deficit to one.

Man of the Match: Joe O'Dwyer. 

Second Game: Kirk Deighton Rangers (A) 2 – 0 Knaresborough Celtic (B)

With a much changed formation Kirk Deighton started brightly in their second game with Harry Boyer and Henry Booth busy in midfield. Thomas March tucked away a through ball to give the home side the lead. Will Ward side footed in at the back post from a corner to double the lead. In the second half the teams were well matched with chances at both ends but good saves meant there were no further scores.

Man of the Match: Thomas March, battled hard and a great goal.

Player of the Day: Joshua Kessel for some fine saves

(B) Team Harry Beaumont, Harry Watson, Matthew O'Connor, Jonathan White, Lucas Abusin, Tom Richmond, Aaron Morrell and Joshua Collier

First Game: Kirk Deighton Rangers (B) 1 – 3 Knaresborough Celtic (B)

Following last years success, KDR B experienced a rude awakening when they came up against a strong and disciplined Knaresborough squad in the first home game of the season.  In the first match, Knaresborough B took an early lead only to see it cancelled out when Tom Richmond lobbed the ball over the Knaresborough keeper just before half time. Knaresborough came out strong after the break and managed to add 2 further goals to wrap up a well deserved 3-1 win.  

Man of the Match: Johnny White for his continuous battling in the heart of midfield.

Second Game: Kirk Deighton Rangers (B) 0 – 4 Knaresborough Celtic (A)

In the second match both teams played some entertaining football and it was surprising that neither managed to break the deadlock in the first half.  The match was finally decided in a frantic 10 minute spell in the second half when Knaresborough managed to score 4 well executed goals on the back of some outstanding link up play in midfield.  Final score 4-0 to Knaresborough.  

Man of the Match: Harry Beaumont for pulling off a number of good saves in the KDR goal.

Player of the Day: Johnny White for a solid debut performance over both matches.

​A tough start to the 2012/12 season, but look forward to next weeks game away against Pannal Ash.​

U16:​ Bedale 1 KDR 3 (League)

A bright, sunny morning greeted players, coaches & parents for the start of a new season away in Bedale. Bacon sarnies and coffee consumed, we settled back to see how KDR would fair in a new league but against familiar opposition – Bedale also having been promoted last season. 

Early pressure was applied by Bedale and rewarded with an early goal in the 6th minute. There were shouts of "offside" but KDR found themselves behind. KDR's response was both swift & impressive. In the 8th minute, Stuart Unsworth stole into the box and set up Chris Stephenson whose first-time, left foot strike nestled sweetly in the bottom right hand corner. 

By the 10th minute, KDR were in the lead. From an angled free-kick on the half way line, Matthew Johnson assumed controlled. He whipped in a dangerous, looping cross which confused Bedale's defence. In attempting to clear the ball a Bedale defender only succeeded in heading into his own net via the post and the keeper!

​​The game wasn't a classic. It ebbed & flowed up to and beyond half-time. KDR were never safe, especially with some rather dubious refereeing decisions. Most notable was a free kick awarded against us on the edge of our own area in the 55th minute when it was clear that Bedale's striker had dived. However it was KDR who celebrated from this free kick as the ball was immediately cleared upfield for Matthew Johnson to battle & bulldoze his way beyond the Bedale defence and finish with style as he placed the ball into the net beyond the advancing keeper. 3-1 to KDR and joy was released on the touchline amongst the travelling support.

​KDR held out for a deserved and hard fought first victory of the season. Well done boys!​

Man Of The Match: Sam Russell - solid and tireless in defence.


​​Sunday 16th September 2012​

U16:​ KDR 3 Wigton Moor 2 (League)​

KDR's first home match of the season will be remembered for a nasty looking knee injury to Charles Calvert. With only minutes remaining & KDR 3-1 up, Charles' knee took the full force as he fell awkwardly. The match was stopped for over half an hour as the ambulance had to be called & Charles' injury was assessed. Let's hope that the damage isn't too severe. We all wish Charles a speedy recovery and hope to see him back in a KDR shirt soon.

The match began in a similar fashion with Cam Matthews also suffering an injury, to his arm. The game was in its infancy but unfortunately Cam was to play no further part. So with Dan Moser's wrist in a cast after last week's game, that's 3 players who have been injured over the last 2 matches. Let's hope for better luck next week!

KDR started characteristically slowly as Wigton Moor moved the ball about well. But as the first half progressed, so KDR gradually found their way and began to create chances. In the 21st minute, Matthew Johnson blazed over when perhaps he should at least have hit the target. He also had a couple of headers which were half chances. At least Matthew was in amongst the action – it'd only be a matter of time!

Chris Stephenson also had a chance but his shot was rather tame. However, Chris was not to be denied. In the final minute of the first half, KDR fashioned a brilliant goal. Cam Pollack interchanged the ball with Sam Stubbs in the middle. Out wide to Rob Caulton down the left. In to Chris Stephenson in the box who calmly looked up and stroked a beautiful shot over the keeper to make it 1-0. It was a very well crafted and taken goal.

​Into the 2nd half, KDR began to assert some authority & more control over the game. Matthew Johnson, ever on the prowl & lookout for a chance, snaffled his first of the game in the 53rd minute when he went in for a 50:50 ball with the keeper. Matthew won the challenge and poked the ball into the net. 2 – 0. Wigton complained but I didn't see anything wrong.

In the 59th minute KDR scored their 3rd and Matthew his second. Again it was a well crafted & taken goal. Rob combined well with Stubbsy down the left, fed Matthew who lashed the ball into the bottom corner after it sat up invitingly for him to score. 3 – 0.

KDR were now well in control and should have wrapped up the game comfortably. However, we lost our way in the final 10 minutes or so as we conceded 2 goals – one from a penalty after Jack had given the ball away carelessly from a goal kick and one after the long delay to attend to Charles' injury.

Having said this, KDR were deserved winners. That's 2 tough games now and 2 hard fought & well earned victories. Matthew Johnson sits proudly now on top of the goal scoring chart. However, after today's game our thoughts are with Charles as we all wish him a speedy recovery.​

Man Of The Match: Rob Caulton - a gutsy & menacing performance when he came on, down the left hand side, putting in some big tackles & some wicked crosses & instrumental in KDR's 3rd goal.​


​​Sunday 23rd September 2012​

U13:​ KDR 4 Wetherby 1

Kirk Deighton Rangers U13s played their first home match of the season and won 4-1 against local rivals Wetherby.

In a match that was much closer than the scoreline suggests, Deighton opened the scoring thanks to a well hit shot from the edge of the penalty area by Daniel Hodkinson. Wetherby responded well however and equalised within 5 minutes. Deighton started the second half brightly with two early goals from George Widdows thanks to fine passes from Daniel and Alex Diggle. The match was still in the balance as Wetherby pressed to get back in the game but Deighton 'keeper Ryan Castelow was in fine form, confidently dealing with a number of Wetherby attempts. The 3 points were secured 10 minutes from the end when a pass from Sam Monaghan found George who shot firmly to complete his second half hat trick. 

​Man of the match went to George for his clinical finishing.​

U16:​ KDR 6 Nidd United 0 (League)

KDR made it 3 wins on the bounce to maintain their 100% record and to remain top of the league. This was a magnificent team performance where every player played their part.

Inevitably it was Matthew Johnson who opened the scoring in the 13th minute stooping low at the near post to scramble in Sam Stubbs' corner.

Jack Bruce scored the 2nd in the 15th minute with a 40 yard hoof which sailed over the keeper from distance and bounced into the roof of the net. KDR were well on top now. Chris Stephenson had a 20 yard shot tipped around the post by Nidd's keeper and Dom Slater hit the bar with an audacious 30 yard blast.

KDR were bossing the first half. Rob Caulton was a menace down the left. In the 20th minute his cross caused confusion in Nidd's box, the ball broke to Sam Stubbs who dinked the ball back in for Johnson to head in for his 2nd.

KDR's 3rd was quickly followed by another Stephenson shot which fizzed narrowly wide. Meanwhile, at the other end, Jack Chester was enjoying a reassuringly quiet match with Owen Davies marshalling the defensive line of Russell, Pollack & Bruce.

In the 25th minute Matty J bagged his hat-trick with a lovely goal. Stephenson to Johnson, Johnson to Caulton who crossed to Johnson, who scored!

The same 3 players were involved in KDR's 5th goal just before half time. This time Johnson to Caulton, to Johnson, to Stephenson who slid the ball under the keeper. Pass, pass, pass = Goal! The KDR machine was efficient & purring.

The 2nd half was a bit of an anti-climax after the fireworks of the 1st half. Edson Knapper missed his chance to join the scorers when he blazed over from the penalty spot after Stephenson had been hacked down.

Matthew Lewis tormented Nidd's defence down the right, Caulton did the same down the left & Stubbsy was a pain in Nidd's midfield.

Matthew Johnson capped a fine display when he headed in Sam Stubb's corner in the final minute to grab his 4th of the game and KDR's 6th.

So, 3 games, 3 wins and a goal difference of +9. Matthew Johnson is already way out front for the Golden Boot Award. WELL DONE BOYS!​

Men Of The Match: Edson Knapper & Chris Stephenson - Battled hard to win the midfield battle to set KDR on the road to a magnificent victory).

U18:​ Guiseley Blues 2 KDR 4

​Playing with only 10 men, two arriving literally on the kick off,  Luke and Elliot suffering with knocks , and playing uphill this game had all the makings of a heavy defeat for KDR.  10 minutes in, we were 2-0 up with a 20 yard drive from Luke and another goal from Will Bell ! What a start. Guiseley rolled their sleeves up a got a well deserved goal back midway through the half. KDR rallied just before the break, and a well worked 4 pass move from a free kick gave a tap in to Harry Jackson popping up from the back. H/T 3-1.

Second half, downhill was one way rampant KDR, with shots reigning in on an excellent Guiseley keeper every few minutes. Sean could have bagged a hat-trick, Elliot and Rob had chances, Miller drove in twice, Adam had digs. The final KDR goal came from Luke Trower who celebrated with a lovely dance along the barriers behind the goals, beautiful. Only a mix up late on saw Guiseleys only real threat lead to a goal. Final Score 4-2.

Great result lads, and 100% record. Looking forward to having everyone back fit.


Sunday 30th September 2012​

U13:​ Knaresborough Celtic​​ 5 KDR 2

Sean Durkin and George Widdows scored excellent goals for KDR U13s but a poor first half performance saw Deighton lose 5-2 at Knaresborough.

An early Knaresborough goal was soon cancelled out by a 'goal of the season' contender from George who broke down the left wing and then unleased a powerful shot which flew into the top corner of the net. 

However, Knaresborough had the better of the first half and scored three further goals without reply from Deighton.

The second half saw a perfect corner from Thomas Pearson bravely headed into the net by Sean and Deighton limited Knaresboro to only goal in reply as the second half finished even.

Man of the Match went to Rowan Bentley with the runner up being 'keeper Ryan Castelow. ​

U16:​ Ilkley 3 KDR 0 (League)​

KDR made the long trek back up the Wharfe valley to Ilkley to play a game that had been in doubt due to the flooding earlier in the week. However, Ilkley's pitch was in remarkably good shape considering it had been under water a few days earlier. Shame KDR weren't in such good shape!

Both teams respected a minute's silence before the game in honour of a league official who collapsed last weekend whilst refereeing a game and died in the ambulance. KDR pass on our condolences to the family & friends of this volunteer.

KDR lost their 100% record this season to an Ilkley team who were better than us on the day and more deserving of the 3 points that were up for grabs. This was a match where we never really got going.

Jack was exposed in the 14th  minute when a ball over the top caught KDR's defence napping leaving Ilkley's big striker one on one – he made no mistake to make it 1-0.

KDR had only one real chance themselves in the first half when a long free kick found Dominic in space on the edge of the area. He controlled & shot but it was wide.

Into the 2nd half KDR were metaphorically up against it and physically up against the strong wind. This proved decisive in the 47th minute when a long range effort was caught by the wind and sailed over Jack's head to make it 2-0.

KDR huffed and puffed but lacked the cutting edge which we've become accustomed to seeing in the previous 3 matches. Dominic fashioned another shot in the 63rd minute but that was high & wide. Shortly after this chance, Ilkley put the game to bed with their 3rd when Jack was rounded and the ball was poked into the open net.

KDR can point to some questionable and inconsistent refereeing decisions. For example Matthew Johnson should have had a clear penalty awarded in his favour when brought down by the keeper. However, in the lead up to this Matthew actually handled the ball. The referee missed both incidents. However, KDR did not lose this match because of any questionable referee's decisions. KDR lost this match because we were beaten by the better team on the day and we didn't perform as well as we have done over the previous 3 matches.

What's important, as pointed out by Damien & Mark after today's game, is how we respond to defeat in next week's County Cup game away to Queensbury.​

Man Of The Match: Cam Pollack - Sturdy and tireless work as usual at the back, but also up front when called upon towards the end of the match​.


Sunday 7th October 2012​

U13:​ KDR 6 Pannal Ash 4

Kirk Deighton Rangers U13s won a classic 'game of two halves' against Pannal Ash.

Pannal started the match by far the brighter of the teams and scored three times in the first 15 minutes. Deighton's George Widdows forced home a goal shortly before half time to give some hope - only for Pannal to score again and take what seemed to be a commanding 4-1 lead. But with the whole Deighton team displaying a determined 'never say die' attitude, Sam Monaghan scored three times for Deighton (including a calmly taken penalty) to bring the match back to 4-4. 

As the match went into the final five minutes, Deighton sensed that the match was now theirs to win and in a remarkable finale, George scored two more goals to give Deighton a deserved 6-4 victory.

Man of the Match was shared between the entire squad for a fantastic all-round recovery.

U18  Guiseley Yellow 1 KDR 2

Kirk Deighton Rangers U18s beat Guiseley Yellow 1 – 2. Rangers dominated the first half of the match on a beautiful sunny afternoon and led 0 - 2 at half time with good goals from Harry Jackson and Josh Waddell. Guiseley scored five minutes after the break and took control of the match for a further period  but Deighton’s defence stood firm. Deighton pressed again in the final third of the game but could not extend their lead.​


Sunday 14th October 2012​

U13:​ Pannal Sports 8 KDR 2

Kirk Deighton Rangers U13s came up against an in-form Pannal Sports team and from being competitive at 2-3 down in the second half, faded disappointingly to ultimately lose 2-8.

Deighton took the lead after 10 minutes thanks to an accurate long kick from Ryan Castelow which George Widdows controlled well before neatly finishing past the Pannal keeper. A well organised Pannal team (who have a 100% record this season), came roaring back and scored 3 times before half time. Deighton started the second half well and were rewarded for their determination when George scored again - this time from a wonderful curving free kick which flew into the bottom corner of the net. But it all fell apart for Deighton after that as Pannal rattled in the next 5 goals without reply - disappointing because generally the U13s have performed well in the second half of matches this season.

​Man of the match went to Daniel Hodkinson with 'keeper Ryan Castelow runner up.​

U16:​ Queensbury 4 KDR 3 (County Cup)​

On a crisp, clear afternoon, KDR made a relatively long trek across West Yorkshire to meet Queensbury in the 1st Round of the County Cup, hoping to cast aside bad memories of our last fixture against Ilkley in which we suffered our first defeat of the season. However, KDR were to suffer another reverse in what was an entertaining & thrilling cup tie.

KDR had to contend with a tiny pitch – very narrow. But I suppose it's the same for both teams! KDR started customarily slowly. If it wasn't for Jack in goal and some wasted Queensbury chances we could have been out of this tie within the 1st 20 minutes. Jack made 3 fantastic saves to keep us in the game.KDR lacked composure and many passes were misplaced. In the 25th minute Queenie deservedly took the lead. However the goal came from a controversial & debatable penalty when Cam Matthews tripped their player – was it in or outside the box?!

KDR's first real chance came after 30 minutes when Matthew Johnson's free kick was narrowly headed wide. Then Dan Moser, making a welcome return following his wrist injury, put Dom Slater through but his cross/shot from out wide went wide of the post. Matthew Johnson almost scored direct from a free kick but his shot shaved the uprights.

Queensbury almost doubled their lead just before half time but the wasted one chance and Jack made another fine save. So at half time it was a relief that we were only 1-0 down.

KDR made the worst possible start to the 2nd half conceding with Queensbury's first attack. 2 – 0. A minute later KDR nearly pulled one back from a corner when Cam Pollack headed against the post & wide. But in the 45th minute KDR did respond. Matty J's corner wasn't cleared properly. Chris played the ball out wide left to Rob Caulton who delivered a dangerous cross into the near post where Owen bundled the ball in. It wasn't pretty but it was effective. 2-1. KDR were back in the game and the momentum swung in their favour.

10 minutes later Matty J flicked the ball into Chris' path right down the middle of Queensbury's defence. Chris advanced and made no mistake smashing the ball past the advancing keeper. 2 – 2. Game on!

KDR had the wind in their sails now. Will Smith was making a nuisance of himself and when he found himself in the box he was tripped to win a clear penalty. Chris stepped and coolly slotted the ball down the middle as the keeper dived to his left. 3 – 2 to KDR. What a turnaround.

But a minute later Chris turned from hero to villain as he turned the ball into our own net past the hapless Jack as he attempted to intercept a cross. 3 – 3 and all to play for again.

In the 67th minute Jack made yet another save as he tipped the ball over. He was having a fantastic game. In the 70th minute another Matty Johnson free kick from distance narrowly shaved the cross bar. In the 74th minute Sam Stubbs' corner was headed narrowly wide by Will. With 5 minutes left Sam Russell made what turned out to be an unfortunate & costly error. He got caught in possession when last man in defence and Queensbury's striker made no mistake as he slotted the ball past Jack into the bottom corner to send Queensbury's fans & players wild. There was no way back for KDR as the final minutes quickly passed.

This was a classic end to end cup tie and a spirited display from KDR. It was great to watch but unfortunate that we came home empty handed. Next week it's back to our League campaign and hopefully we can return to winning ways.​

Man Of The Match: Will Smith - worked hard and distributed the ball well in the middle of the park and won the penalty that gave KDR the lead.

U18: KDR 4 Guiseley Y​ellow 4

Kirk Deighton Rangers U18s drew with Guiseley Yellow 4 - 4. The first half was evenly matched until Rob Holliday put Rangers ahead from a penalty before Guiseley struck back quickly. The visitors went ahead early in the second half. Rob Holliday levelled before securing a hat trick, converting an excellent cross by Eliot Dixon. A penalty and a rare goalkeeping  error gave Guiseley the lead at 3 - 4 but Rangers' persistent pressure paid off and Matt Williams secured the draw.​


Sunday 28th October 2012​

U13:​ Ripon 3 KDR 2

Kirk Deighton Rangers U13s played their part in a thrilling match at Ripon but were unlucky to lose by the odd goal in 5.

Ripon started by far the brighter of the teams and were 2-0 ahead after only 6 minutes. But Deighton then recovered their composure and the rest of the first half was goalless. Early in the second half a glorious through ball from Tom Flannery put George Widdows in space to score for Deighton with a perfect lob over the 'keeper - only for Ripon to score again shortly afterwards. But showing great determination, Deighton came roaring back and a skillful exchange of passes between Sean Durkin and George fed Tom Pearson who scored with a composed finish. In an exciting finale, Ripon missed one penalty and had a second superbly saved by Ryan Castelow. Deighton pressed for the equaliser but were unfortunate when a great shot from George smacked the Ripon crossbar. 

The match finished 3-2 to Ripon but other than the first 6 minutes, Deighton competed very well - Man of the Match went to 'keeper Ryan Castelow with runner up being Callum Unsworth for great work down the right wing.​

U18: KDR 6 Whinmoor Juniors 1

Kirk Deighton Rangers U18s secured their first home win this season beating Whinmoor Juniors 6 - 1.

Rob Holliday scored in the opening minutes, following a neat dummy by Matt Williams, and secured a second ten minutes later. Whinmoor took advantage of defensive confusion to score but Rangers were always threatening and struck twice more before half time: Rob Holliday off a defender and Sean Dawson finishing cleanly. Whinmoor tried hard in the second half but solid defending and goalkeeper Ben Arscott  kept Rangers' lead secure.  Swift counter attacks and confidence in front of goal from Rob Holliday and Sean Dawson gave Rangers a flattering result.​


Sunday 4th November 2012​

U13: KDR 2 Ilkley 5

Kirk Deighton Rangers U13s were well below their best against Ilkley and lost at home for the first time this season - by 5 goals to 2.

Ilkley were stronger and more determined in the tackle and were 3-0 ahead after 30 mins. On the stroke of half time, Sam Monaghan scored following a well constructed Deighton move to give some hope - but Ilkley scored again early in the second half. The last 30 minutes of the match was fairly even - with one more goal for Ilkley and a second for Deighton as a shot from Sean Durkin went in off an Ilkley defender.

​Man of the match went to centre half Toby Giddings with runner up being Tom Pearson.​

U16: KDR 1 Bedale 1 (League)

In the first near zero temperatures of the winter, Charles Miall made his KDR debut.

This wasn't a classic, In fact it was a pretty dour & drab affair – a rather dull 1 – 1 draw.

Bedale took a 7th minute lead through some indecisive KDR defending on the half way line. There was no challenge as Bedale broke up field from our own attacking corner, It was a poor goal to concede.

We had to wait until the 28th minute for KDR to fashion their first effort, when Dan Moser hit a shot that hit the outside of the post. But KDR levelled the scores a minute later. Sam Russell took a short throw-in to Will Smith who controlled the ball and passed it in field to Sam Stubbs. Sam looked up, saw an opportunity, a gap and let fly from just outside the area. Although the ball took a slight deflection it headed straight into the top corner for Sam's first goal of the season.

The second half was largely uneventful. In the 68th minute Matty Lewis nipped in from the right flank and fired a left foot shot over, but that was about it.

So the full-time score of 1 – 1 represented a fair score. This was a rather flat and pretty average performance and a draw must be viewed as a good result for KDR today.​

Man Of The Match: Owen Davies - despite 2nd half cramp, Owen was solid at the back, getting in a few vital blocks and leading by example as Club Captain).

U18 KDR 3 Guiseley Blue 1

Kirk Deighton Rangers U18s beat Guiseley Blue 3 - 1 in a pleasing second consecutive home win of the season.

Midfield dominance allowed Rangers several shots which hit the post. The Guiseley keeper, who was effective throughout, kept the match goalless until the break. Sean Dawson opened the scoring for Rangers early in the second half then Guiseley levelled through an own goal. Persistent possession and pressure led to a penalty converted by Luke Trower then Matt Williams finally ended a long spell without a goal by adding a third.​


Sunday 11th November 2012​

U11: KDR v Pannal Ash

First Game: Kirk Deighton Rangers (A) 1-1 Pannal Ash (A) 

Kirk Deighton played some good football in the first half and created several scoring chances. Thomas March, Beau Whayman, Henry Booth and Joe O'Dwyer worked hard at their passing to open up the opposition's defence time and again. However the sides were level at the break. The visitors then took an early lead after the restart. Chances came and went at both ends. A driving run by Joe O'Dwyer and cross into the box turned in by Jack Holliday salvaged a point for Kirk Deighton.  

Man of the Match: Thomas March - distributed the ball well.

Second Game:  Kirk Deighton Rangers (A) 1-3 Pannal Ash (B)

The home side never got on top in this game and were under pressure from the start. A good and physically stronger Pannal Ash side dominated midfield and had several chances to score before they finally took the lead. Harry Boyer forced an equalizer to bring Kirk Deighton back into the game. However the away side scored twice more to take a deserved 3 points.

Man of the Match: Henry Booth - worked hard against good opposition.  

Player of the Day:- Joe O'Dwyer - Battled in midfield in both games.  

First Game: Kirk Deighton Rangers (B) 2 - 0 Pannal Ash (B)

Both sides contested a goalless first half with neither creating any real opportunity to take the lead.  After the break KDR seemed to step it up a gear and were justly rewarded when Jonny White fended off 2 defenders and slotted the ball home after collecting a perfectly timed pass from Lucas Abusin.  Pannal Ash did their utmost to level the score, but found it almost impossible to penetrate the home sides defence.  KDR managed to double their lead courtesy of Charlie Brooke after he collected a through ball from Lucas Abusin and slotted it past the outstretched keeper.  KDR continued to dominate the game to claim a well deserved 3 points.

Man of the Match: Harry Watson for a resilient performance in the heart of defence

Second Game:  Kirk Deighton Rangers (B) 2 - 1 Pannal Ash (A)

KDR stated well and could have taken an early lead but for some resilient defending by Pannal Ash.  Harry Watson came closest to breaking the deadlock when his long range free kick beat the keeper and rattled back off the cross bar.  The home sides dominance eventually paid off when Tom Richmond pulled the ball back for Lucas Abusin to curl it in from the edge of the box.  KDR continued to control the game and were unlucky to concede an equaliser just before the half-time whistle.  Pannal Ash came out strong after the interval and the game appeared to be heading for a draw until Harry Watson volleyed in Johnny White corner from close range.  Final Score 2-1 to Kirk Deighton Rangers.

Man of the Match: Matthew O'Connor for yet another solid and dependable performance.

Player of the Day: Lucas Abusin for his vision and creativity in the centre of midfield.

​7 well earned points against a competent Pannal Ash side, whose bottom of the table position, looks like it can be improved upon. KDR look forward to playing local rivals Wetherby at the Ings next Sunday, 1.30 kick off.​

U13: Wigton Moor 3 KDR 5

Kirk Deighton Rangers U13s won their first away match of the season in a thrilling game at Boroughbridge.

Deighton had the better chances in the first half but could not put the ball away - and the first half ended goalless. It looked as though Deighton could be punished for this when Boroughbridge scored twice early in the second half but showing great determination, Deighton drew level with goals from Tom Flannery and Rowan Bentley. Just as it looked as though the match was there to be won, Deighton conceded yet again to test the U13s resolve to win. In a enthralling finale, Deighton came roaring back once more with goals from Sam Monaghan and George Widdows to take the lead - and man of the match Tom Flannery then scored the last goal of the game to give Deighton the victory by a score of 5-3.​

U16: Wigton Moor 2KDR 2 (League)

This was the reverse fixture from the 2nd game of our season. Well, sort of! We were supposed to play this match away, at Wigton. However, they were unable to accommodate us on their patch so we played our away fixture at home in Grange Park!

Following the morning's Remembrance Day services both teams took to the field eager to impress but before they commenced battle both teams observed a minute silence.​

And this match was a battle.  Owen captained the team again with Chris as his Vice Captain. The 1st 10 minutes were dominated by Wigton, bossing the game in the midfield. All we had to show were a couple of speculative efforts from Matthew Johnson. In the 14th and 17th minutes Jack Chester made 2 saves to keep the scores level.

​KDR came closest to opening the scoring in the 25th minute when Sam Stubbs chipped the ball over the wall from a free-kick on the edge of the area, only to see the ball rebound to safety off the crossbar.

The deadlock was broken in the 29th minute when Sam Russell scored an own goal after mis-communication between himself and the keeper, Jack. 0 – 1.

However, KDR drew level a couple of minutes later. Dom Slater played Matthew Johnson in with a long through ball. Matthew held his nerve and slotted the ball coolly under the advancing keeper for his 8th of the season. 1 – 1.

And a few minutes later again, in the 35th minute, KDR scored again to go into the lead. This time Dan Moser worked hard down the right. He hustled and bustled his way through, shot and scored, after the keeper fumbled, 2 – 1.

This was the half-time score. KDR went on to dominate large parts of the 2nd half. Matthew Johnson was denied by the Wigton keeper in the 53rd minute when put through by Rob Caulton. He was again denied from a Dan Moser cross from the right flank. Will Smith even got in on the action in the 56th minute when he chipped a shot from outside the area which only narrowly cleared the bar with the keeper scrambling.

However, at the back we looked shaky. Jack Chester saved Jack Bruce's blushes when he dillied and dallied in defence. From the resulting corner, Jack made another fine save to keep KDR ahead.

As time ran out for Wigton they became more desperate. Tackles began to fly in as Wigton lost their composure giving the referee a difficult job keeping on top of a deteriorating game. However, Wigton finished strong and KDR failed to put the match to bed. And boy, did we pay. With only 5 minutes left, Wigton bundled the ball home from a speculative free kick into the area. KDR appealed for off-side but the referee wasn't going to budge. What a sickener. In a 2nd half which we largely dominated, it was Wigton who stole the draw and a point.

This was a game that we arguably should have won. However as Owen pointed out in the after-match de-brief, we probably didn't deserve a draw against Bedale but got one! Today, Wigton stole the victory from us. Lack of communication and composure at the back cost us dear today.     

U18: Lawnswood 3 KDR 5

Kirk Deighton Rangers U18s beat Lawnswood 3 - 5 returning from 3 - 1 with a hat trick. Both teams showed individual technical ability making it an interesting  game for spectators. Lawnswood scored first then Rob Holliday headed in for Rangers. Two quick goals gave the home side 3 - 1advantage at half time. Rangers switched players around in the second half and started to dominate in midfield enabling Luke Trower to head home and make it 3 -2. With under ten minutes to go Matt Williams equalised then got a quick second. Lawnswood threatened but Williams' third made certain for Rangers.​


Sunday 18th November 2012​

U11: Wetherby Athletic v KDR

First Game: Wetherby Atheltic (A) 1 -0 Kirk Deighton Rangers (A)

KDR visited local rivals Wetherby with a couple of key players out on a glorious sunny afternoon. The A Team battled hard from the start, packing the Midfield reminiscent of Barcelona. The tactics appeared to work, until the dying seconds when Wetherby managed to knock in a well struck corner. But still an entertaining match and KDR were unlucky not to get a share of the points.

Man of the Match: Gareth Monkam

Second Game: Wetherby Athletic (A) 4-1 Kirk Deighton Rangers (A)

Kirk Deighton started slowly and allowed the home side to take control from the start. Despite some resolute defending by the visitors Wetherby had built up a 4 goal lead by midway through the second half. Kirk Deighton kept plugging away driven on by Henry Booth and got a deserved consolation goal from Gareth Monkam. Also, a Beau Whayman strike came back from the underside of the crossbar. Dominic Beech, Joshua Kessel and Thomas March worked hard in defence throughout.

Man of the Match: Dominic Beech - fought hard under constant pressure.

Player of the Day: Henry Booth - kept driving forwards all afternoon.

First Game: Kirk Deighton Rangers (B) 4 - 0 Wetherby Tigers (B)

KDR started well and immediately forced Wetherby onto their back foot.  Lucas Abusin opened the scoring for KDR from the penalty spot after Tom Richmond was clipped in the box.  There was no let up for Wetherby and KDR quickly doubled their lead when Lucas Abusin collected a short corner, jinked through the defence and laid the ball off to Jonny White who obligingly placed it in the roof of net.  Given KDR's dominance, the half-time whistle couldn't have come soon enough for the home side.  After the interval, KDR continued to pass the ball freely and kept Wetherby pinned back in their own half.  Charlie Brooke added to his seasons tally after collecting the ball on the back of a neat play by Jonny White and Tom Richmond.  Wetherby's fate was finally sealed when Tom Richmond struck home Jonny White's rebounded shot.

Man of the Match: Jonny White for his dominance on the right flank.

Second Game: Kirk Deighton Rangers (B) 2 - 3 Wetherby Tigers (A)

In a game of 2 halves, KDR came off second best as they squandered a two goal advantage.  KDR took the lead midway through the first period after Jonny White was taken out on one of his solo runs, only for Lucas Abusin to collect the advantage ball and calmly tuck it past the sprawling keeper.  Within minutes the lead was extended as Charlie Brooke laid the ball off for Harry Watson to fire it home from the edge of the area.  After the break KDR's hard work was undone as Wetherby turned the game around.  Two goals in the opening minutes, followed by a well taken strike just before the final whistle gave Wetherby a hard fought but well deserved victory.

Man of the Match: Lucas Abusin for his creative dominance in midfield.

Player of the Day: Tom Richmond for his battling display up and down the pitch.​

U13: Wigton Moor 2 KDR 3 (Played at Grange Park)

Kirk Deighton Rangers U13s rode their luck in beating Wigton Moor 3-2 in an 'away' match played at Grange Park due to a waterlogged pitch at Wigton.

​Deighton started the match with their habit of conceding an early goal (after only 8 minutes) but after that the first half was fairly even and it was Deighton who started the second half the better of the teams. After good Deighton pressure, an accurate corner from Tom Pearson was neatly finished by Callum Unsworth and shortly afterwards, a fine run and cross from the left by George Widdows was finished with great confidence by Sam Monaghan. But this spurred Wigton to reorganise and there followed a period of sustained Deighton defending as Wigton pressed forward for the equaliser which eventually came midway through the second half. From then on, Wigton had the majority of possession and at times the action in the Deighton penalty area was reminiscent of the Alamo - but stubborn defending and some good fortune kept Wigton out. With just 4 minutes remaining, a fine breakaway by George resulted in an accurate pass to Man of the Match Sam who coolly finished to snatch the win for Deighton.

U16: Boroughbridge 1 KDR 7 (Maddison Cup)​

On a crisp, sunny afternoon KDR travelled up to Boroughbridge for this Madison Cup encounter.

After an even start, KDR took the lead in the 10th minute. Matty Johnson, who was going to have a big influence on this game, took the free kick out on the right hand side. His left footed cross to the far post was beautifully judged where Edson Knapper, rose and nodded in from close range for his first of the season, Shame his Dad, Damien, missed it as he applied First Aid to the injured Cam Matthews on the touchline!

In the 26th minute Matty J turned from goal provider to goal poacher. Chris Stephenson played a lovely weighted through ball which Matty coolly slotted past the advancing Borobridge keeper. 0 – 2.

With half time looming KDR more or less put the match beyond their opponents. In the 40th minute the returning Charles Calvert's cross from the right created confusion in Bridge's defence. As they dithered, Dan Moser pounced and vollied home for a 3-0 lead.

KDR weren't quite done though as, in first half injury time, they made it 4 – 0. Matty Johnson took another sublime free kick down the right hand side. His left footed cross was perfectly judged allowing Chris Stephenson to nip in and glance his header in.

A wonderful first half was followed by a positive start to the second half. KDR were dominant, How Matty J failed to score is anyone's guess. He shot at the keeper, shot wide and his attempted lob fell safely into the keeper's arms. Indeed, it was Borobridge who scored first in the 2nd half. This was a shame as it denied KDR one of their main objectives – to keep a clean sheet.

In the 58th minute there was a flashpoint, KDR were awarded a penalty. Sam Stubbs stepped up but his tame penalty was saved. In the ensuing melee and confusion Sam was caught in a confrontation with a Borobridge player. Sam was subsequently sent off. When we checked with the referee, it was for violent conduct. It turns out that Sam felt that he had been provoked by a Borobridge player. His reaction was unfortunate and a real shame for such a talented player. I'm sure Sam will learn from this and he and every other KDR player must realise they can't afford to react when wound up by opposing players. 

The reaction from KDR was wonderful. The loss of Sam just seemed to spur us on even more. In the 69th minute, Chris Stephenson, having a magnificent game in the middle, played Dom Slater in who made no mistake in smashing the ball into the net past Borobridge's brave keeper. That was Dom's first of the season. Dom was, however, to follow this up with what is likely to be the Miss of the Season. Owen put him through, Dom rounded the keeper, composed himself, controlled the ball and with an empty net beckoning, smashed the ball against the post – what a miss! Fortunately, no harm was done.

Infact, Matty Johnson was to finish the match with a fine flourish. In the 77th minute Matty J crossed to Matty Lewis. Matty L's shot was partially saved but Matty J was following up and tapped it in for his 2nd and KDR's 6th. But Matty Johnson wasn't quite finished. In the final minute, Sam Russell battled well down the right flank. Twisting and turning he manage to get his cross in finding Matty Johnson who controlled, turned and fired the ball into the bottom corner who his hat-trick and KDR's 7th.

KDR will enjoy this well deserved victory but it's back to league duty next week against Ilkley where 3 points is what we need.

Man Of The Match: Chris Stephenson - Immense, from box to box, showing great control and composure, despite Borobridge players trying to take his legs away, again and again! Plus a headed goal.​


Sunday 9th December 2012​

U16: KDR 6 Lawnswood​ 0 (League)

On a bitterly cold, blustery but bright December morning, KDR lined up versus a Lawnswood team who could only field 10 players. In comparison, KDR had 5 subs to choose from and were able to rotate at will.

​However, Lawnswood put up a spirited display in the first half, admittedly with the gale behind their backs. KDR just didn't get going and proved of little threat in the first 40 mins.

Damien & Mark's half time team talk was simple. Pass the ball! And so, in the 2nd half, KDR did just that and the rewards followed.

​Harry Stobert, making a return to KDR, after a number of seasons away at Killinghall Nomads, made an immediate impression. In the 41st minute, he turned smartly in the area and his left foot shot nestled in the bottom corner. 1 – 0, and the prodigal son had returned! (Well, the referee's son!)

In the 46th min, Owen doubled the lead, when his long-range shot was deflected and wrong-footed the keeper. He claimed the goal nevertheless.

In the 50th min Lawnswood were awarded a Penalty but Jack was untroubled as the Pen was blasted over.

In the 57th min, KDR made it 3 – 0 when Cam Matthews passed to Chris Stephenson whose left foot shot into the corner made it 7 for the season for him.

In the 67th min, Chris supplied Harry whose composed finish gave him his second and KDR their 4th.

In the 70th min, Matthew Johnson got in on the act. Having had a relatively quiet game, he took his opportunity expertly when his left foot shot from the edge of the area, crashed low into the bottom corner. 5 – 0. And 5 mins later Matthew doubled his tally and made it 6 for KDR with another left foot blast from the edge of the box into the top corner.

The poor Lanswood keeper didn't have a chance but actually he had a superb game. In the 77th min he saved a Chris Stephenson penalty. Jack Bruce also had a shot saved when Owen & Chris had combined well to put in through. Matthew Johnson missed out on a hat-trick when he headed over from the resulting corner.

KDR won this encounter comfortably in the end, against a spirited Lawnswood. The only disappointment was that we didn't score more, especially given our 2nd half dominance.

Josh Cruddos made his KDR debut today. Coming on as a 2nd half substitute, he looked strong and assured in the centre of defence. KDR's squad has improved with the addition of Harry and Josh making the battle for places keener. Competition will be fierce for the rest of the season.

Man Of The Match: Dan Moser - Worked hard up and down both flanks in support of the defence and​ attack​

U18: KDR 4 Lawnswood​ 2

Kirk Deighton Rangers U18s beat Lawnswood 4 -2 continuing their recent run of good form.

Lawnswood conceded an early penalty, which Luke Trower converted, then found their way back into the game and pounced to draw level through a defensive error. In the second half Josh Wadell put Rangers ahead but another lapse at the back restored parity.  Better midfield play and more determined possession helped Rangers pull ahead with a goal from  Josh Cutts, his first for the club, and a few minutes later Eliot Dixon secured the deserved win with a long range effort (assisted by the strong wind).​


Sunday 16th December 2012​​

U13: Wetherby 6 KDR 4

Kirk Deighton Rangers U13s played their part in a 10 goal thriller at the Ings but due to a poor first half performance, lost the match to Wetherby by 6 goals to 4.

After conceding after only 4 minutes, George Widdows equalised for Deighton but a more determined Wetherby team scored twice again to lead 3-1 at the interval. 

KDR improved in the second half and an early goal from Sam Monaghan gave hope - only for Wetherby to score two more - which seemed to have settled the outcome of the match with a score of 5-2 and only 15 minutes remaining. But to their credit Deighton continued to work hard, and were rewarded with goals by George and Tiger Kato either side of a goal for Wetherby.

A disappointing result - if KDR had performed as well in the first half as they did in the second, then the outcome may well have been different.

U16: KDR 0 Pannal Sports 1 (Cup)

In some ways this was a classic cup tie. It was real cut & thrust, end to end, no quarter asked, non given. There were very few clear-cut chances at all. Neither keeper actually had much to do in all honesty. But there was real toil & effort out on that pitch today. Every player played their part.

KDR only fashioned one chance in the 1st half. In the 23rd minute it was a goalmouth scramble but the ball just wouldn't go over the line. Pannal had the best chance when Jack upended their striker in the 34th minute. Clear penalty. However Jack redeemed himself with a wonderful save off to his left from the spot kick. So still 0-0 at half-time.

KDR almost took the lead in the 42nd minute just after half time when Harry Stobert muscled his way down the right into the penalty area. He crossed hard & low to the far post where Chris Stephenson stuck out a boot but unfortunately guided the ball wide, rather than in to the unguarded net.

The only other chance came in the 61st minute when Harry Stobert again battled well to win a corner. Matthew Johnson's pin point corner found his namesake, Matthew Lewis, who sprung like a jack-in-the-box only to see his flicked header narrowly shave the cross-bar.

As both teams fought to win the game in the final minutes, Pannal won a corner. The delivery was perfect and the ball was headed in to break KDR hearts. There was no time left to come back from this.

​KDR really put up an admirable show today, but one would have to say that Pannal probably just about deserved the victory. It was always going to be a single goal that won this encounter. KDR will lick their wounds and seek revenge in the forthcoming league fixtures yet to come in the New Year against Pannal.

Man Of The Match: Matthew Lewis  - Worked hard up & down the right wing in support of the defence and attack - got a real sweat on today!

U18: Amaranth 2 KDR 3

Kirk Deighton Rangers U18s beat previously undefeated Amaranth 2 –3 to remain league leaders over Christmas and the New Year. A very lively and tightly fought half hour preceded a Rob Holliday cross and a Matt Williams finish. Amaranth levelled but Rangers quickly responded through Holliday, assisted by Sean Dawson. Rangers hit the post before half time. Williams poked home a third for Rangers twenty minutes after the break but a goal from a ball over the top gave Amaranth hope. Rangers defended doggedly through the final fifteen minutes to secure their most satisfying win of the season. ​


Sunday 6th January 2013

U18: KDR 3 Amaranth 1

Kirk Deighton Rangers U18s inflicted a second league defeat against Amaranth, winning 3 – 1.

Amaranth started determinedly but Rangers contained them. After thirty minutes Adam Young struck from distance for the opening goal after two earlier efforts had hit the post. Five minutes after the break Rob Holliday scored a fine individual effort then midfield deadlock set in. Luke Trower finally pounced on a loose ball in the area to set up the victory. Amaranth revived their earlier determination to claim a consolation goal and had another effort cleared off the line.  ​


Sunday 13th January 2013​

U13: Pannal Ash 4 KDR 2

Kirk Deighton Rangers U13s put in a creditable performance away at Pannal Ash, but with no substitutes available, seemed to run out of steam in the final part of the match and lost 4-2.

KDR took the lead in the 9th minute with a peach of a goal courtesy of a perfect dipping long range shot from Tom Flannery. Pannal equalised in a controversial manner when play continued after a clear foul - but to their credit Deighton responded in the best possible manner when George Widdows scored after a fine solo run.

Pannal drew level again just before half time but hopes were high that with the advantage of the slope in the 2nd half, KDR might go on to win the match. However it was not to be. Pannal scored midway through the 2nd half and Deighton noticeably tired without the option of any substitutes compared to the 3 available to Pannal - and a further goal shortly before the whistle gave a final score of 4-2.

​A decent performance though - Man of the Match went to Henry Beanland for numerous strong block tackles to break up Pannal attacks.       ​

U18: KDR 1 Amaranth 3

Kirk Deighton Rangers U18s lost to Amaranth 1 – 3 in their third consecutive meeting, leaving Rangers two one victors overall. Amaranth dominated the first half but Deighton contained them and scored first, Luke Trower converting a Rob Holliday cross. Amaranth struck back twice: a cross drifted into the top corner and then a goal mouth poke home put them  1 – 2 up at half time. Deighton were in the game more in the second half but Amaranth scored from a free kick. The final minutes saw Deighton hit the post and have a goal disallowed for offside.


Sunday 3rd Febr​uary 2013​

U11: Pool v KDR (Cup)


After almost 2 months without a competitive game, Kirk Deighton Rangers U11's held on in a closely fought encounter with Pool and moved one step closer to defending last season's Harrogate & District Cup title.

Team: Joshua Kessel, Harry Boyer, Dominic Beech, Joe O'Dwyer, Henry Booth, Harley Scott-Ellis, Thomas March, Beau Whayman.

​First Game:  Pool (A) 1-0 Kirk Deighton Rangers (A) 

With a strong wind blowing from one end to another and with it being the first match for nearly 2 months the first half had a lot of disjointed play. Kirk Deighton were unable to make the wind advantage count. In the second half Pool passed the ball better and got a deserved lead. The visitors then battled hard and got their passing going but failed to make the break through and went down by the one goal.

Man of the Match:  Thomas March - worked hard on the left in defence and midfield.  

​Second Game:  Pool (B) 0-3 Kirk Deighton Rangers (A)

KDR took the initiative from the off and were more composed playing in a cross wind in this match. Their formation was changed with Harry Bowyer playing in a more advanced role. He opened the scoring after some good pressure on the home side. Pool did create some chances but Josh Kessel stood firm in goals. In the second half Joe O'Dwyer worked his way through the middle and slotted home the second goal. He scored his second shortly afterwards. KDR rotated positions late on and managed to kept control of the game.

Man of the Match: Harry Bowyer - scored on his return after injury

Player of the Day: Joe O'Dwyer - for 2 goals and his work rate up and down the pitch 

​First Game:  Pool U11's (B) 1-5 Kirk Deighton Rangers U11's (B)

The home side started well and put KDR's defence under early pressure.  Lucas Abusin opened the scoring after the Pool keeper failed to keep hold of Charlie Brooke's close range effort.  Despite playing uphill, the momentum was clearly with KDR and they managed to double the lead 3 minutes later when Aaron Morrell collected the ball in midfield, ran through the defence and rifled the ball into the roof of the net.  Pool did their utmost to create an attack but found it difficult to breakthrough Jonny White and Matthew O'Conner in the heart of defence.  After the restart Lucas Abusin added a third for KDR with a thunderous long range free-kick.  The tie was finally sealed with 2 Jack Holliday strikes, both of which came on the back of some excellent football between Jonny White and Lucas Abusin. Against the run of play, Pool managed to grab a late consolation goal in the dying seconds.  

Man of the Match: Matthew O'Conner.

Second Game:  Pool U11's (A) 2-1 Kirk Deighton Rangers U11's (B) 

KDR struggled to get into their stride against a technically stronger team than their earlier opponents.  With the wind behind them, Pool deservedly took a two goal lead in the opening 8 minutes.  Going into the interval, the scoreline could have been worse but for some resilient defending from Aaron Morrell and Jonny White.  After the break Aaron Morrell pulled a goal back for the visitors when he capitalised on a goal mouth scramble from a Jonny White corner.  Despite taking full control of the game, KDR failed to take advantage of their chances and could have found themselves a further goal behind but for a valiant save from Harry Beaumont in the closing minutes.  

Man of the Match: Lucas Abusin.

Player of the Day : Jonny White for a solid all-round performance over both ties.​

​U13: Ripon 8 KDR 4 (Cup)

Kirk Deighton Rangers U13s worked hard in a Cup match away against League leaders Ripon but despite scoring 4 goals lost the match.

KDR took the lead in only the 2nd minute when Sam Monaghan skillfully converted a cross from George Widdows only for Ripon to equalise after 20 minutes via a debatable penalty for hand ball. The game remain fairly even until a disastrous period either side of half time saw Deighton concede 4 consecutive goals. However to their great credit, KDR continued to work hard and were rewarded with a 'Ronaldo-esque' wonder goal from a George Widdows free kick and another George goal from a clear penalty to bring the match back into the balance at 5-3 with 15 minutes left to play. But pushing forward, Deighton conceded 2 further goals and despite scoring again, conceded the last of the match to eventually lose 8-4.

Plenty of positives from the game however -  to score 4 goals away at the League leaders was a great effort.

U16: Bedale 2 KDR 4 (Cup)

Well, it's been 7 weeks since KDR U16s last played a competitive fixture, that was against Pannal in the Cup. After several weeks of aborted attempts to get this fixture played, eventually our next Cup fixture against Bedale went ahead. The game was a proverbial game of 2 halves.

In the first half KDR played up hill against a howling gale. It was hardly surprising therefore that we went in at half-time 2-1 down. However, Bedale's 2 goals, in the 7th & 27th minutes, were innocuous affairs – goals out of nothing really. And KDR could/should have been level. Harry Stobert and Matty Johnson terrorised Bedale's back line, fashioning numerous chances. Harry was convinced that he'd scored in the 35th minute. However, the referee (near the centre circle) claimed the ball hadn't crossed the line! Not to be outdone though, Harry made no mistake in the 37th minute when he lobbed a through ball from Dominic over the keeper to make it 2-1.

Into the 2nd half, KDR's advantage of the slope and the gale was negated somewhat as the wind gradually abated. However it didn't take KDR too long to draw level. A Charles Calvert long throw, from the right-hand touch-line, into the box caused confusion in Bedale's defence. Harry was first to react as he blasted the ball into the net from 6 yards out to level the scores, 2-2.

​KDR went into the lead in the 68th minute as their pressure began to tell. Matty Johnson took a vicious, in-swinging, left footed corner from the right to the back post. There, at the back post, Owen Davies soared, salmon-like, with a perfectly timed bullet header into the net to make it 3-2. KDR had turned this cup tie on its head.

Bedale continued to probe and played some good passing football, similar to ourselves. But they lacked that bit of discipline and composure as their flying tackles illustrated.

Matthew Johnson searched for the vital 4th goal to kill the game off but scuffed his shot high & wide when clean through. However, Matthew was not to be thwarted. In the 75th minute he latched onto a loose ball in the box and buried his shot low & hard into the Bedale net for his deserved goal which made it 4-2 to KDR. He also had a goal disallowed in injury time direct from a free kick but heaven knows why?

Regardless, this was a hard fought and deserved victory for KDR, especially considering the fact that we haven't played in 7 weeks. Special mention to Matthew Lewis who put in an assured display between the posts in the absence of Jack Chester. Well done Matthew.

​And well done to everyone else. The conditions weren't great today but the boys dug deep and put in a solid shift to see off Bedale for the 3rd time this season.​

Man Of The Match: Josh Cruddos  - Exceptional performance in the heart of defence with plenty of well timed and important tackles to snuff out any danger​.

U18:​ KDR 5 Knaresborough Celtic 1 (Cup)

Kirk Deighton Rangers U18s secured a 5-1 win against Knaresborough Celtic in the League Cup.

Blustery conditions made playing difficult, both teams struggling to find any rhythm in the first half. Deighton came out strongly after the break, Eliot Dixon scoring twice in five minutes. Knaresborough heads refused to go down and they fought back to 2-1 with some good attacking play, then nearly levelled with a penalty chance which they failed to convert. That acted as a wake-up call to the home side who scored three more in the final 15 minutes, with goals for Luke Trower, Harry Jackson and Rob Holliday, with some outlandish celebrations!​


Sunday 10th Febr​uary 2013​​

U11: Beckwithshaw v KDR

Kirk Deighton Rangers earn 4 points against a well drilled Beckwithshaw side.

First Game:  Beckwithshaw (A) 3-0 Kirk Deighton Rangers (A) 

This game was played in the cold and very wet conditions and both teams deserve credit for braving the elements for 2 hours. The home team were quick off the blocks and raced into a 3 goal lead before Kirk Deighton could settle. The rest of the first half and the second half was very competitive but the away side could not break through. Near misses, good goal keeping and hitting the crossbar summed up Kirk Deighton's match.

Man of the Match: Aaron Morrell - having his first game in the A Team he worked hard for his team.  

Second Game:  Beckwithshaw (B) 2-1 Kirk Deighton Rangers (A)  

Kirk Deighton fell behind again after a slow start but went on to dominate possession. They pressed for most of the game for an equalizer and were finally rewarded with an own goal from a Dominic Beech corner late in the game. In a rare attack at the other end Beckwithshaw grabbed a winner. The visitors left with no points after 2 battling displays.

Man of the Match: Dominic Beech - for a sure performance in defence

Player of the Day: Henry Booth - fought hard in both games to drive his team forwards.  

First Game:  Beckwithshaw JFC (B) 1-1 Kirk Deighton Rangers (B)

Kirk Deighton started slowly and were grateful for some resilient defending from Harry Watson and Matthew O'Connor.  Once into their stride, KDR started to take control of the game and could have taken an early lead courtesy of 2 good efforts from Charlie Brooke.  KDR's best chance fell to an on-form Jonny White whose long range strike from the right flank was tipped over the bar by the keeper.  After 11 minutes the visitors found themselves a goal behind, Beckwithshaw breaking down a KDR attack and catching the the boys out on the break.  With half-time looming Matthew O'Connor put Lucas Abusin through on the left who managed to get a cross in for Tom Richmond to head in and level the score at one goal apiece.  After the interval KDR continued to dominate possession with both Jonny White and Tom Richmond creating problems for the home sides defence.  With both teams demonstrating some good attacking football, a draw seemed a fair result once the final whistle sounded.  

Man of the Match: Harry Watson.

Second Game:  Beckwithshaw (A) 1-2 Kirk Deighton Rangers (B)

KDR maintained their momentum from the opening fixture with Harry Watson and Jack Holiday both coming close to scoring in the opening period.  Although Beckwithshaw failed to convert into an open net in the 8th minute, the relief was short lived as the hosts managed to break the deadlock 2 minutes later with a fortuitous strike from the half-way line.  Feeling hard done by, the boys responded well and were du​​​​​ly rewarded for their efforts in the 13th minute when Jack Holiday tapped in Tom Richmond's corner from close range.  In the second half KDR continued to dominate possession and although they looked the most likely to score, Beckwithshaw could have snatched the lead but for some confident goalkeeping from Harry Beaumont.  The game was finally decided in the 25th minute when Lucas Abusin's corner found its way into the back of the net courtesy of the Beckwithshaw full-back.  A well deserved victory for KDR in a game where each and every player gave maximum effort!

Man of the Match: Harry Beaumont

Player of the Day: Tom Richmond

U13: KDR 2 Ripon 7

Kirk Deighton Rangers U13s had a disappointing 'game of two halves' against League leaders Ripon and after holding Ripon to 1-1 at half time, fell away to lose 2-7 at Grange Park.

KDR took the lead after 15 minutes when George Widdows neatly finished following a through ball from Tom Flannery. Ripon equalised after 24 minutes and with the match level at half time, hopes were high. But after an early second half opportunity for Deighton to regain the lead, when George hit the bar and Ripon survived the following goalmouth scramble, a defensive mix-up by KDR gifted Ripon the lead. This seemed to knock Deighton's confidence/organisation and KDR then conceded a further 5 goals - although George did score again with a perfect finish from a fine Sam Monaghan pass.

Man of the Match went to Tom Flannery for an all round committed performance.

U18: KDR 5 Bedale 0 (Styan Cup)

Kirk Deighton Rangers U18s beat Bedale 5 - 0 in the Styan Cup.

Rangers quickly went ahead with goals from Luke Trower (penalty) and  Sean Dawson. Bedale had the chance to catch up but their penalty was saved by keeper Ben Arscott. Trower scored again for Rangers before the break. In the second half ​they dominated the game scoring twice more through Dawson and Harry Jackson but missing several opportunities and being denied by good work from the Bedale keeper.


Sunday 3rd March 2013​​

U16: KDR 2 Ilkley 1 (Cup)

A battling performance from KDR saw them progress to the semi - finals of the Cup after a well deserved victory over Ilkley.

The game started at full tilt with Ilkley throwing everything forward, probing the KDR defence which withstood for the first twenty minutes before being caught out by a long, high ball that cleared the back four and was cooly lobbed over the advancing goalie. 1 - 0 to Ilkley.

​Same old story ? Not today, today was a new chapter for an ever improving Deighton and towards the end of the first half KDR began to exert pressure on a shaky looking Ilkley back four , but, for clear chances Ilkley just claimed the half, and could have had more but for some stalwart performances from Sam Russell, Josh Cruddos, Owen Davies, Rob Caulton  and Jack Chester at the back.

KDR s best chance was from a pinpoint, curled free kick from Matt Johnson which Chris Stephenson headed goalward but close to the keeper.

Half-time 1-0 to Ilkley.

The second half was a different affair. KDR knew they had to get the ball down, move it quickly and play our own game.

We began to create openings - a close shot from Dom Slater, a last ditch block on a menacing Harry Stobert, the corner count began to mount, so did the KDR pressure, something had to give.

A precise Sam Stubbs corner proved Ilkley's undoing, bundled in by Edson Knapper, this sent huge belief into an ascendant Deighton, and deservedly levelled the tie.

More corners, more pressure. It didn't matter which KDR eleven were on the pitch, the hunger was there, for an historic victory.

Ilkley didn't let Deighton have it for free, every ball was contested, with Stephenson, Unsworth and Knapper doing a great job protecting the back four,who, when called upon were brilliant in nullifying the powerful Ilkley forwards.

KDR had built up a head of steam, through the middle with Slater, Unsworth, Stephenson, Stubbs and Stobert and down the wings with Moser, Pollock, Johnson and Lewis, and it was from a break down the left, good movement and strength from Harry Stobert that saw KDR awarded a penalty after the rampaging Harry had been scythed down .His dad pointed straight to the spot. KDRs regular penalty taker was on the bench so Matt Johnson stepped up. Short run up, left foot, post, rebound, Dom Slater, wide.

Next, more Deighton. Cam Pollock put the goalie in the net. Matt J set up Edson whose shot was tipped round by a great save. Ilkley still featured in the game but seemingly had only a "plan A"-long ball to big, strong bloke and the plan was dealt with by the unflappable Davies and the immovable Cruddos. Eventually time ran out and we faced extra time.

The first half was mostly Deighton dominated with some great running from Matt L, we knocked on the door but couldn't get in.

The second half provided KDR with the goal that took them through, corner from the right, mighty leap from the skipper Owen, a slight deflection, back of the net. KDR had to learn fast how to kill off a game and but for last minute flurry from Ilkley, we stood firm.

Final score 2 - 1 to KDR . and huge cheers from all.

Compliments on the football Deighton produced were thick on the ground, and the Ilkley Manager said that we had deserved the win, We wouldn't argue.

Man of the Match was a difficult choice, it could have been any or all, but as we only had one trophy we opted for Josh Cruddos for shackling the Ilkley attack.​

​U18: KDR 4 Amaranth 1 (Styan Cup)

Kirk Deighton Rangers U18 beat Amaranth 4 - 1 in the Styan cup.

Rangers suffered an early sending off for swearing. Amaranth took advantage to open the scoring but an injury reduced their number allowing Rangers to take control and level the score, a Matt Williams header from a corner. Life became more difficult for Amaranth when they had a player sent off for swearing as well. After the break Williams put Deighton ahead  against ten man Amaranth, who conceded to Williams again for his hat-trick. Deighton were awarded a penalty in the final minutes and keeper Ben Arscott scored to secure an emphatic victory.​


Sunday 17th March 2013​​​

U16: Nidd United 1 KDR 2 (Cup)

Kirk Deighton Rangers U16 ground out a deserved win to book a place in the cup final for the first time in their history.

​The opponents today were Nidd Utd and, being the home team, started the brighter on a very boggy pitch. KDR began in a 4-4-2 set up and slowly woke to the task, playing against a physical team who threw themselves at every ball, denying KDR the opportunity to build from the back,and littering the game with free kicks.The Ref was to be very busy today.

KDRs first goal came from a corner on the left, penalty box pinball, a deft touch from Matt Johnson, working the ball onto his left foot, and a crisp finish, low and hard across the goal and into the corner of the net. 1-0.

Deighton then held a precarious lead, maintained by a dogged defence and a goal line clearance from Owen Davies, who also blocked the follow up.

Another foul, another set piece, another scramble, another goal. This time following calm work from Chris Stephenson who picked a pass in a crowded penalty area,found Owen and ran onto the return pass to calmly slot home from close range. 2-0.

An increasingly tetchy match reached half time at 2-0 in KDRs favour,we hadn't made many clear chances, but we finished the ones we did create, remained staunch at the back when called upon.With the centre back pair of Cruddos and Davies outstanding,Chester - loud and commanding in goal, the full backs Russell and Caulton determined and diligent.

It would have been 3-0 but for a fantastic save from the Nidd goalie following a defensive header going the wrong way  towards the bottom corner of his own net. Blushes spared.

The Ref spoke to Nidd at half time regarding their over- zealous tackling and assured the KDR staff that it would not be tolerated in the second half. So, slices of orange consumed, KDR took to the pitch hoping for a calmer 40 minutes.

Within minutes the pitch resembled 'The Somme' in texture and in fallen youth, amazingly no one was seriously hurt, but the KDR mood changed , irate at a lack of protection Deighton gave back some of the medicine they had been given, and bitter pills they appeared to be. In truth any number of players could have, and probably should have, gone in the Ref's book, even Stuart conceded a foul, but only one from Nidd was finally shown yellow.

Once KDR got angry we played some good football, down the wings,moving the ball from the middle to the wide men quickly. Nidd still proved a threat through the centre,rushing anyone that held onto the ball too long. KDR broke an attack following a tackle from Edson Knapper, Harry Stobert charged forwards, fizzed a shot across goal,the keeper got a finger to it as Dom Slater went to tap it in and Dan Moser firmly side footed into the corner .3-0.

Time was running out for Nidd, but credit to them, they persevered and were rewarded with a scrappy goal of their own.3-1. No clean sheet today, no clean anything actually.

KDR switched to a 4-5-1 formation now to try and kill off the game and the middle three of Stubbs,Lewis and Knapper held firm.

Nidd created the final flashpoint of the afternoon,a hotly contested ball to our keeper gathered under duress followed by alleged trampling of his leg, no immediate action from the Ref so the offending Nidd player was removed from our goalie by our caring Captain, resulting in a short bout of "handbags", both lads were spoken to, both played on.

The final whistle heralded KDRs first cup final appearance, and cheers all round. A well-earned victory that has seen us overcome three top flight opponents on our quest for silverware in the "main cup". We await news of our opponents in the final as the other semi fell foul of the weather.

Today we scrapped for a win on a pitch that wasn't conducive to flowing football, a feisty adversary and an early kick off. Well done boys, be proud.

Man Of The Match: Owen Davies, going from strength to strength, leading by example.​


Saturday 6th April 2013​​ ​​/ Sunday 7th April ​

​U16: Nidd United 1 KDR 2 (League​)​

​U16: Ripon City Panthers 5 KDR 2 (League​​)​​

KDR U16 had a busy weekend with games on Saturday and Sunday.

​Away at Nidd United Tigers on Saturday they battled for a 2-1 victory on a very bobbly pitch thanks to first half goals from a Nidd own goal following a Sam Stubbs corner and pressure from the looming Josh Cruddos and a speculative goal from distance from Dan Moser. Nidd pulled one back virtually on the final whistle, and KDR held out to gather 3 more points and move to second place in the top division.

The game on Sunday saw them travel to Ripon City Panthers to take on the league leaders. KDR lost out 5-2 in a gripping game where Deighton took an early lead when Dan Moser fed Harry Stobert, put through on goal with a slide-rule pass. Harry gobbled up the chance. Ripon stunned. Ripon then profited from some slack defending with a tap in from four yards and a lob that carried beyond the despairing Jack Chester. Half time 2-1 to Ripon.

A hotly fought second half erupted when Harry Stobert was put through again, this time a precise pass from Will Smith, Harry was partially blocked by the goalie but he came back for seconds and found the lobster pot from a tight angle. 2-2 and game on. Harry was on for the hat trick and looked set to tap into an empty net when he appeared to be up ended by the goalie. No penalty!

Another run into the box, another "coming together", another penalty appeal, ​another turned down.

KDR then failed to clear a corner and, after a bout of pinball, Ripon scored.

Deighton were just about to change formation to chase the goal they needed,when they conceded a fourth avoidable goal, another tap in following an error. KDR pressed hard to get back in the game, but all in vain, as a fifth goal trickled into the net. Deighton played a great game today but shot themselves in the foot with some generous defending, and subsequently slipped back to third in the league. With tough games to come KDR need to bounce back from this defeat with a good show against Pannal next Sunday in what could be a rehearsal for the upcoming cup final.​


Sunday 21st April 2013​​​

U13:​ KDR 4 Knaresborough Celtic 3

With only 10 players available, Kirk Deighton Rangers U13s secured a narrow victory against Knaresborough Celtic in a thrilling match at Grange Park.

After a remarkable first half, a determined Deighton team were 3-0 up at half time. Lone striker George Widdows scored twice after expertly controlling long balls and then running powerfully through the Knaresborough defence and Tom Pearson scored with a well hit shot from the edge of the penalty area. However a revitalised Knaresborough started the second half much stronger and soon pulled back two goals to leave the match in the balance. To their credit, Deighton kept their spirits up and were rewarded when once again George muscled through the Knaresborough defence to complete his hat trick. From then on, Knaresborough had much more of the possession but resolute defending meant that Deighton conceded only one further goal to finish winners by 4 goals to 3.  

A great effort by all 10 players. Man of the Match was shared between George (for his tireless efforts in the lone striker role) and stand-in goalkeeper Alex Diggle.

U16: KDR 1 Pannal Sports 0 (League)

Conditions this week were more favourable than last week's gales. So battled commenced versus Pannal for the 3rd time this season with Pannal having shaded the previous encounters both 1-0.

However, it was KDR who showed their intent early in this one. In the 2nd minute Matthew Johnson interchanged with Sam Stubbs in the middle of the park, just outside the area. Matthew let fly with an opportunistic volley which hit the base of the post and rebounded away to safety. It was an early warning for Pannal, but Pannal had the better of the next 20 minutes or so (in territory and possession) squandering a couple of chances.

However, in the 25th minute Matthew Lewis conjured up some magic to unlock Pannal's defence. He cut in from his right flank, near the half way line and played an exquisite ball back down the right channel, behind Pannal's defence for Harry to latch onto. Harry required no invitation. He was onto it immediately as Pannal's defence dithered and their keeper pondered. Harry stroked the ball into the net. 1 – 0 to KDR. A well worked and well taken goal.

Half time came and went with KDR eyeing victory but there was plenty still to do. Matthew J nearly scored in the 47th minute when he controlled Charles' throw-in, turned and shot – but straight at the keeper. In the 52nd minute, Matthew's free kick and Charles' header unlocked Pannal's defence but Edson's effort fell agonisingly wide and was hacked to safety.

Jack kept KDR's lead intact with some important saves down to his right in the 60th and 62nd minutes. This indicated Pannal's pressure with KDR counter-attacking. Sam Stubbs played Matty Lewis in as he sped through only to see his shot fly into the side-netting. Ohh!!

​With time ticking away, Pannal went 3 up front. Josh and Owen marshalled the defence well, Edson & Stuart battled in midfield and Harry, Sam and Matthew created problems on the counter. KDR soaked up wave after wave of Pannal attack. At times it was a bit backs against the wall stuff but with the referee's whistle KDR realised they'd earned a well deserved and hard fought victory. This was no more than KDR deserved today.

Man Of The Match: Jack Chester - although there were 14 Men of the Match on show today, as everyone played their part, Jack was a deserved winner of this Award. He made 2 important saves down to his right in the 2nd half which maintained our lead. Furthermore, he was commanding in his area claiming every ball that came his way with a clean and​ safe pair of hands.​

U18: KDR 3 Guiseley Blue 1

In their final junior game Kirk Deighton Rangers U18s beat Guiseley Blue 3-1.

​Rangers came from behind against a determined Guiseley outfit to secure the points in the second half after a dominant show. Rangers scored three stunners from 

distance. Rangers' victory keeps them top of  the league but other teams have games in hand, but KDR will finish at least 2nd, their best ever result in the top league.

The team has now finished junior football with a number of player tasting senior football this season too. Four players in particular gave long service to KDR juniors, namely Ben Arscott, Luke Trower, Josh Waddell, and Sean Dawson. Coach Steve Holliday thanked them and all the previous coaches, sponsors, supporters and the many people who have helped the team over the years, and we tucked into super chocolate cake at the end !​


Tuesday 23rd April 2013​​​

U16: KDR 0 Ilkley 4 (League)

I don't know if it was anything to do with playing on a Tuesday evening but, quite simply, statistically this4-0 defeat was our worst performance of the season. The writing was on the wall as early as the 2nd minute when a long ball over the top unlocked our defence for Ilkley's thankful striker to lob the ball over the astonished Jack into the net. To be fair, Jack had no chance with Ilkley's  2nd in the 22nd minute, their 3rd in the 54th minute and their 4th in the 72nd minute. The less said the better!

KDR's first attempt on target was a tame Chris Stephenson shot in the 60th minute. By that point we were 3-0 down. Prior to this, in the first half, Chris met a Sam Stubbs corner with a header over. Matthew Johnson won a free kick but his resulting effort was wide past the keeper's right post. Perhaps Matthew was unlucky not to be awarded a penalty in the 22nd minute, shortly before Ilkley doubled their lead, when he was upended in the area having appeared to win the ball? And perhaps KDR were unfortunate in the 51st minute when Owen bundled the ball in, only to be ruled off-side.

However, in all honesty, KDR didn't deserve anything really from this encounter. This was a lacklustre performance. Owen, the Captain, described it as "Bad!" Matthew Johnson, the Vice, described it as "Poor!" and Dominic, the ratings expert, scored the team performance as 1½ out of 10. Perhaps a bit harsh but not far off!

In fact, after Sunday's performance against Pannal, it was genuinely difficult to pick a Man of the Match as every player played their part and was outstanding. Tonight however, no disrespect to Edson (our deserved Man of the Match) there were few contenders for the Award.

​It was rather surprising to see KDR spring into life in the final 5 minutes, when the game was well & truly lost. Matthew Lewis' cross/shot hit the post. Sam Stubbs' cross/shot flew narrowly wide and Matthew Lewis' cross to Chris Stephenson resulted in a shot wide of goal. We saved our best football when it didn't matter. Perhaps that says something about our mentality tonight. Hopefully, with the final League match against Ripon on Sunday and a Cup Final coming up, the team will learn from tonight's heavy defeat and their attitude will improve for the final 2 matches.

Man Of The Match: Edson Knapper - not only for giving a whole nose-full of blood from a ball kicked squarely in his face, but also for a stirling performance in the middle of the park, doing the simple things well - controlling the ball, passing accurately and hussling opponents when not in possession​.​


Sunday 28th April 2013​​​

U16: KDR 5 Ripon 2 (League)

Following Tuesday evening's disappointing defeat & submission at the hands of Ilkley, KDR turned things around in fine fashion for this tussle against, already crowned, League Champions Ripon.

​Liam Gotting was making his debut for KDR – and what an impressive debut it proved to be!

The game was spoilt slightly (not for the first time this season) by the wind blowing down the pitch. Consequently the first half was played predominantly in KDR's half as we battled against the combined elements of the aforementioned wind and Ripon's skilful team. However, battle is exactly what KDR did – for everything. Despite Ripon's pressure & territory Jack was hardly troubled in goal. Infact it wasn't until the 28th minute when Jack made his first serious save.

However, by then (in the 25th minute) KDR had assumed the lead. Sam Stubbs fed Matthew Lewis from midfield down the right channel. Matthew beat his man and supplied the cross. There was a hand ball by Ripon's defender as he attempted to clear but Sam was on hand to smash the ball home as the advantage was played. Delight for Sam, who finished the move he started. Delight for KDR. 1-0 up.

In the 30th minute KDR doubled their lead, shocking Ripon in the process. Liam won a free kick down the left flank. Sam played an in-swinging free kick into the area. His pin-point cross was met by Edson who buried his header into the corner passed Ripon's shocked keeper as his defence pondered their fate. Oh yes! What a beauty! So KDR went into half-time 2-0 up, looking forward to the wind behind their backs in the second half.

In the 47th minute KDR bagged a 3rd. Jack Bruce's throw-in found Matthew Johnson in the area. Matthew was clearly pulled back but, undeterred, he soldiered on and, in typical Matthew style, smashed the ball into the roof of the net as Ripon's coaches wondered what had hit them. 3 – 0.

And it was to get even better for KDR. In the 47th minute Sam Stubbs won the ball in midfield and put Liam through with a ball over the top. The debutant, Liam, still had plenty to do though. He held off the defender and smashed the ball into the top corner. What an impact Liam had made. What was going through the Ripon player's minds? Champions of the League yet 4-0 down!!

With 20 minutes still to play, Ripon grabbed a goal back. Josh Cruddos' crude tackle yielded Ripon a penalty. Although Jack saved the penalty it was followed up and stroked in by the penalty taker. 4-1.

There was a moment of panic for KDR as Ripon pressed as they sensed a way back into the match. However, any hopes they had were well & truly extinguished by Sam Stubbs in the 73rd minute. Man of the Match, Matthew Johnson won the ball in midfield. The ball broke to Sam who, right-footed from outside the area, stroked the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the Ripon keeper's net. 5 – 1.

The match was now more or less over. Ripon did grab a 75th minute consolation goal from a free-kick but KDR's victory against the table-toppers was assured.

So, KDR finished their league campaign on a high with a fine performance. Yet again, Mark & Damien were left with the difficult decision of choosing a Man of the Match when all 15 players has made a vital contribution to securing this victory.

This season we have beaten Ilkley, Pannal and Ripon – proof positive that we can mix it with the best in this League. We are currently 2nd in the League on merit. A few seasons ago we were resoundingly thrashed by these teams. This illustrates clearly how far this team has come. Mark & Damien deserve immense credit for their determination and effort. But so too do the players for sticking at it, working hard and demonstrating the same determination and effort of their coaches on the pitch.

With one competitive game left, now there's one chance for glory – the League Cup Final. Swansea City put on a master-class in the League Cup final earlier this season as they demolished Bradford City 5-0. Can KDR emulate the Swans?

A final word for Sam Russell, the only ever present player in KDR's team this season. Sam has figured in all 19 fixtures so far. A magnificent effort considering the squad we have and the length of the season. Not only has Sam been available, he has kept his place. Well done Sam. 

Man Of The Match: Matthew Johnson - not only did Matthew score a fine goal at the beginning of the 2nd half to effectively put the game beyond Ripon, he also worked his socks off in the space behind Sam but in front of midfield​.


Sunday 12th May 2013​​​

U16: KDR 3 Pannal Sports 2 (CUP FINAL)

Well, here it is, the final game of a long season which started back on 9th September with a 3-1 victory up in Bedale. And this was a stunner. Could KDR crown their season with victory in the League Cup? 

Early signs weren't encouraging in this tense Cup Final. From a corner in the 10th minute Jack gathered safely. The referee blew his whistle. What for? Nobody knew, not even the Pannal players and coaches. Amazingly he'd awarded a penalty for an apparent shirt tug. A quizzical decision to say the least. Pannal gratefully accepted and smashed the ball passed the exasperated Jack. 1-0 to Pannal.

​Stunned KDR had hardly drawn breath when they found themselves 2-0 down. Jack had pulled off a fabulous save but a free kick shortly afterwards was headed in to double Pannal's lead. In the blink of eye KDR were staring defeat right in the face. But in the face of adversity we thrive, and how?

In the 14th minute, from a Matthew Johnson corner (he's so good with his delivery), Owen flicked it on to the far post, Sam Stubbs headed it back towards goal and Edson put his head in bravely amongst the Pannal bodies to score his 2nd goal in consecutive games and bring KDR back into this one. Cue excited celebrations from Edson, his team mates and Damien especially on the touchline. This was only a rehearsal for what was to come later!

Wow, 15 mins on the clock and 2-1 to Pannal. This was a cracker of a Cup Final. In the 37th minute KDR thought they'd levelled the tie. Dom Slater battled down the right and put in a wonderful cross which Chris Stephenson tucked away. As KDR began to celebrate the referee pulled play back and, belatedly, awarded Pannal a throw-in.  Another dubious decision that went against KDR.

Never mind, KDR rolled their sleaves up, playing against the wind and up the slope. The referee even made us play 5 minutes extra believing it was 45 minutes each way?! It was only until the coaches intervened that he blew his whistle to signal half time with KDR 2-1 down.

Just before half time, the ever present Sam Russell took an elbow to the bridge of his nose, causing him to spurt claret all over the shop. As Mark administered First Aid, Damien led the half time team talk, asking the players to focus and keep working hard in the 2nd half. He was confident we could turn the tie around.

 And he was right! Within 5 minutes of the re-start KDR were level. From a corner out on the left, Pannal's keeper fumbled the cross and Owen, up from the back, gratefully pounced on the spillage and smashed the ball into the net from 2 yards. 2-2, game well and truly on!

This was a classic tie with no quarter asked and none given. This was a head to head, toe to toe battle between 2 of the best teams in the League with very little between them.

In the 63rd minute, from a KDR corner, Pannal broke swiftly and in numbers. As the cross came in, with KDR's defence split, it seemed odds on that Pannal would re-take the lead. However, Dom Slater's last ditch tackle was well timed and precious. The fact that he nearly smashed the ball into the top corner of our own net was neither here or there – he'd saved the day!

With time virtually up KDR pressed for the winner. Harry Stobert worked hard (as usual) and forced a corner. From which, another corner followed. There was some debate about whether or not it was a corner. KDR gratefully accepted the referee's decision, as Pannal had accepted the penalty in the first half. So, one last fling of the dice…..

Matthew Johnson's corner was, yet again, precise. An inswinging, left footed corner to the far post. He crowd waited with bated breath. Everyone watched anxiously. The earth stood still. And then, it happened! Owen timed his run to perfection. He leapt high above everyone and met Matthew's cross with a bullet header which slammed into the back of the net. Majestic, wonderful and superb. What a goal! Cue wild, exuberant celebrations from the KDR players on the pitch, the substitutes, the squad who had turned up to support,  the coaches, the magnificent support from all the parents and friends…and me, Owen's Dad. Never have I felt so proud!

However, the game wasn't over. KDR had to see out a final, tense few minutes of injury time. This they successfully did to secure a fabulous, famous victory. To bring the Cup home having been 2-0 down to a fine Pannal team was no mean feat.

Wow! What a game. What a result. What an end to the season. This was amazing. Everyone who has pulled on a KDR shirt (sponsored by Kirby Builders Merchants) this season has played their part. Unfortunately not everyone could play today but they all deserve a mention. Please look at the attached spreadsheet which paints the full picture of the season.

And a final mention for Mark & Damien. For many years they have given their time to coach and motivate a small group of lads who love their football. There have been tough times, especially a few years ago when the squad was depleted and we were regularly beaten, dare I say thrashed. But they stuck at it. And this is their reward. A fabulous achievement – Under 16s League Cup Final Winners 2012/13. The last time this Trophy was won by KDR was in 1997/98, so it's been long overdue. WELL DONE BOYS!

Man Of The Match: Owen Davies - An inspiring Captain’s performance, topped off with the 2nd goal to bring the scores level and a truly stunning winner in stoppage time​.